Wednesday, July 6, 2011

4th of July Weekend




I thought I would post some paintings I finished over the 4th of July weekend. I like most artist have a ton of unfinished paintings that I keep promising I will finish someday. As someone once said there are many days of the week on the calendar but "someday" is not one of them. So having some time over the 4th I thought OK it time.

When I begin to work on this sort of painting the one thing I notice is that the emotional connection has changed. It now feels a little mechanical. Generally I will only return to a painting if I feel I already have a good start and good reference. My other consideration is to try not over use my reference material. How do I know when I'm finished? I know I'm finished when I feel I've said enough in the painting to keep folks interested but not bored. My goal is to simplified enough information to let the viewers participate. Not all passages in a painting need to be explained. OK enough said.

Starting from the top the paintings are "Desert Bloom" 5x7, "Malibu Creek Bridge", 5x7 and "Still Life Drama" 14x11.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. All three paintings are amazing and beautiful, but Desert Bloom is really stunning Gary! Your words on how to know when a painting is finished are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete