Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Will Rogers' Blacksmith Barn


Over the past few weeks my Friday landscape class has been painting at Will Rogers' State Park here in LA. The weather has been perfect in so many ways. Rogers' State Park is a good place to paint but like many locations one needs to slooow down and pay attention to the elements in order to find the right composition. I'm not just talking about usual trees and fences. I'm actually looking for the abstract qualities. I'm looking for the verticals and horizontals, big and small shapes, light and shadow, scale and patterns. These are the elements I search for because I've learned these are the keys to creating a good painting. My class and I have scoured these grounds both North and South looking for just the right composition and yet sometimes you overlook the most obvious things. I must have walked by this composition five or six times but never really saw it. You need to look at things from all angles and really slooow down. That was my lesson in this painting.

1 comment:

  1. There is still time for me to get this view!! Do u think the sun will cooperate this Friday? :)

    ReplyDelete